Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Americanization of Everything


Although we do not realize it on a daily basis, our lives today depend/revolve around major corporations and chains. In an average, suburban town, it is not unusual to drive by multiple McDonald’s stores and several Starbucks Coffee houses. This is not only happening in America, globalization, an increase in interconnected and interdependent nature of communication systems, economies, cultures, and politics of contemporary societies, is occurring in foreign countries across the world. McDonald’s stores have even sprung up in Havana, Cuba. While globalization seems like a good idea to some because of the extended wealth and products that will be available to more people, increased living standards, and shared values worldwide, it also evokes much criticism and doubt. Perhaps we as a world are becoming too “Americanized”.
            I am a first generation American born to Chinese immigrant parents. Living in the United States has almost entirely disintegrated my Chinese roots and culture. Although my parents are very traditional in their upbringing of my brother and I, because we interact with other Americans everyday and growing up in an extremely American suburb (Milford, Connecticut), we have inevitably adopted an almost entirely American set of values. This is what people refer to as Americanization. Apparently, because the United States is such a dominant and influential world power, the world is becoming westernized and homogenized.

            However prevalent America and the West have become in the world, I do not believe the world will become homogenized. This summer when I went to Beijing, China for the first time in my life, I didn’t know what to expect. I thought I would see people dressing in the same brands and fashions as in America. Instead, I got off the plane and couldn’t find one person wearing a Hollister or Abercrombie shirt. Much of the clothing they were wearing were either brandless or from an Asian company. It surprised me to see that as “cool” and “modern” as we Americans seem to other countries, people in Beijing had their own fashion and style. I saw styles of clothing I have never encountered in America. This shows that however prominent the West becomes in the world and no matter how much influence it may exert, people will never truly lose the sense of their own background. There will always be something unique to their culture that they will be proud of and cling to.
            As long as countries don’t lose their sense of identity and uniqueness, I do not see why Americanization is a bad thing. If other countries can pick out the good parts of America to utilize them in their own societies, shouldn’t that be a good thing? Being more like America in some aspects, can unite the world and create a better understanding of ourselves as a whole and not separate, unreachable countries. 

4 comments:

  1. I understand that America has slowly leaked into the cultures of the rest of the world, and it isn't good that your roots feel disintegrated. However, couldn't it be said that this sharing of cultures makes us more united as a race? Of course you don't want to forget where you came from, but perhaps this blending of the lines is what the world needs to be more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, Americanization was not a slow process and for many countries was not a choice. Diversity is important for a more smooth running world, interaction with people who are different from oneself makes one more accepting and cultured, which is great. However, the imposition of one dominant culture on the rest of the world is not diversifying but homogenizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Jonathan, I do believe the mixture of cultures coming together is a positive. There can still be diversity and individuality, while there can also be people uniting together as one. For example, I come from South Florida where the majority of the people living there are the 1st or 2nd generation of all races. People in South Florida are aware of where they originally came from, but they also willing to become intertwined with the American culture as well. Being open to blending with other cultures is a good thing, not a bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am personally in favor of America as the "melting pot". Walking down the street you will see so many different people of so many different personalities and lifestyles. I would say none of them are distinctly "American" because there is no such thing as a distinct American! America is full of diversity and influenced by the culture of many different countries. I think this is something to be embraced, not shunned.

    ReplyDelete